Saturday, November 14, 2009

Winter Quarters, Nebraska

The Indian Creek Ward had a youth temple trip to Winter Quarters today and Chris and I decided to accompany them. Winter Quarters is a beautiful temple with many unique stained glass windows portraying the history of the area.This was Chase's first time attending the temple and I was so glad to be there with him. (I have to tell you a funny story about this picture. Chase had changed into shorts and a hoodie for the bus ride home before Chris and I got to the visitor's center to tell him we wanted to take a picture so he put his shirt and tie on over his t-shirt and shorts to take this photo. That's why it's only from the waist up...khaki shorts and hairy legs below!)
There is a beautiful visitors center that tells the story of the great migration west and focuses on the time that the Saints spent here in the winter of 1846-47 after being driven out of Nauvoo, Illinois. Today when Chris and I walked in, we came upon Elder Dallin H. Oakes teaching the sister missionaries in the lobby! He and his wife were visiting his brother who is the temple president.
More that 600 people died during that winter. Most died of scurvy and malnutrition due to lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Many of those 600 who died were children under three years of age. This is a monument to the parents who had to bury so many of their little ones. Winter Quarters is a very special place that causes one to feel great respect and reverence for those early pioneers and all that they sacrificed in search of a place where they could worship in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment