Monday, November 16, 2009

P-Dub Was Here

Have you heard of Ree Drumond aka The Pioneer Woman? She lives on a ranch in Oklahoma in the middle of nowhere. She homeschools her four children and she blogs....blogs alot. Her site is divided into five categories: confessions (life on the ranch), cooking, photography, home and garden, and homeschooling. Her blog has gained a huge following since she began just three years ago and she's won lots of awards for her site. She just published a cookbook and was in Kansas City for a signing. When I heard, I knew I had to be there. Since it was my sister, Rhonda, who introduced me to thepioneerwoman.com last year, I knew she had to be there with me!
Vivien Jennings, owner of Rainy Day Books who sponsored the event, collected questions from the audience and Ree proceeded to answer them. She is funny, clever, and very real about her family and their life on the ranch.
After the Q & A session, attendees were called to have their books autographed according to their ticket number. While we were waiting our turn, we visited with Ree's husband Marlboro Man (Ladd Drummond) and their two sons, Bryce and Todd. I convinced the boys to sign my cookbook as well.
Actually, Bryce signed for himself and his brother both because Todd really didn't want to have much to do with us. I think we were lucky to get that picture.
It was finally our turn to meet Ree. We talked about the gemstones in our wedding rings--garnets in hers and rubies in mine--and then the best place to get BBQ in KC. Arthur Bryant's is where Rhonda and I both suggested they go. Unfortunately, there was another book signing scheduled in St. Louis the next night so there would be no time for BBQ before leaving town...maybe next time.
I've tried several recipes from thepioneerwoman.com and many of my favorites are in this book. If you're looking for a gift idea for someone in your life who likes to cook, this would be a great choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment