Elvis Aaron Presley died on this day in 1977. Where were you when you found out? I was a sophomore in high school and coming home from drill team practice when I heard. I was wondering why they were playing Elvis songs on the radio one after another. When my friend's mom told me he had died, I couldn't believe it. My mom was a huge Elvis fan and so was I. My kids are fans by default. I started them watching his movies and listening to his music when they were just little. Chris and I even took them to Graceland when Marissa was still in a stroller. All throughout the tour, Mallorie kept asking,"Where's Elvis?" She was shocked and disappointed to find out he was dead...and buried in the back yard!!!
Yum...Isn't he delicious?!?
I was going to marry him, but he never asked! :-(
A now defunct radio station here in town (KYYS: KY 102 or 99.7 KY) used to sponsor an Elvis Parade every year at this time. The last one was in 2007--The 20th Annual Elvis Parade. We would go every year even if it meant taking kids out of school. It was a Miller tradition. We'd been attending for about 12 years and at the time, had no idea that 2007 would be the last Elvis Parade ever...lucky for us (and you!) we took pictures.
Here are a couple of cute fans...Marissa and Mallorie wearing their Elvis masks.
Here are a couple of cute fans...Marissa and Mallorie wearing their Elvis masks.
Tommy Chong, of Cheech and Chong fame, was the Grand Marshal that year. Interesting choice, wasn't it? Past grand marshals have included Wierd Al Yankovic and Barry Williams, aka Greg Brady.
The serious impersonators put on a show after the parade. They are judged by audience applause. Not sure what the prize was.
Some look and sound pretty good.
Others...not so much!
There would always be some kind of death-defying act as the event finale. This year was a Mexican high wire artist who walked blindfolded wearing his version of Elvis' famous gold lame suit. The Human Cannonball and the Flying Elvi are past favorites.
So sad that the Elvis Parade is no longer but we've got many year's worth of memories!
It was a great tradition!



No comments:
Post a Comment