Monday, August 3, 2009

Colorado Anniversary

Chris and I celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary on July 29th. Chris planned a wonderful weekend get away to the beautiful Rocky Mountains of Colorado. We flew into Denver on Friday, July 31st, and attended a session at the Denver Temple and, happily, ran into our former bishop, Richard Jardine. It was storming in Denver as we headed west on I-70 to Avon, Colorado, but by the time we got there skies were clear and the air was crisp! Chris had booked a room at the Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa at the base of Beaver Creek Mountain. We spent Saturday on the mountain enjoying the view, eating lunch, and doing some mountain biking. We flew home Sunday afternoon and returned to a perfectly clean house (at least the first floor) thanks to Meagan!! We love and appreciate you, Meg! Everything about the weekend was perfect: the surroundings, the weather, the food, and especially the company!!
We went to a Farmer's Market in Minton on Saturday morning. I got a really cool tiger's eye ring from Nepal there! The Eagle River runs right past the town square. The water was refreshingly cool....made my skin tingle! This is the sign that greeted us as we got off the ski lift on the top of Beaver Creek Mountain. Luckily, no bears were sighted!! I tried to convince Chris that we should ride down the black trail but he would have none of it! Turns out he was right...of course!!! And we're off..... decided to try Rose Pedal (blue) until it merges with Cinch Road (green.) Wish us luck!!! Here I am before I crashed. My jacket is still white! Just a few yards further along the path is where I was panicked by a large rock in the trail and grabbed my brakes with both hands. Unfortunately for me, I'm left handed and the front brakes are controlled by the left hand so I grabbed them harder and went flying over the handlebars! I landed on my head and distinctly remember thinking, "Thank goodness I'm wearing a helmet!" as the rest of my body caught up! Chris followed behind me and didn't even laugh when I crashed. He seriously thought I was going to have to be airlifted off the mountain. Ha...I'm tougher than that!! No blood or broken bones, just a few bruised and stiff muscles!! Told the guy at the bike shop when returning bikes that I only fell twice. He said, "If you don't fall, you're not trying." Guess I was trying really hard! This little guy was so tame! I didn't even have to use the zoom to get this shot. He was just a few feet away from me and didn't even flinch when I took his picture. We took a Sunday morning stroll along the Eagle River in Avon that ran right behind our hotel. This was a cute little bridge over a small creek that fed into the river. The end of a beautiful weekend...Thanks, Chris! I read this quote on a blog awhile back and it fits us perfectly: "It's an amazing thing to share life with an imperfect person that is perfect for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment