Ah...breathe in that moist tropical air and feel the sun on your skin...delicious! "We're not in Kansas anymore," I chuckled to Chris as we climbed out of the plane and walked across the tarmac.
These islands were originally named Las Tortugas by Christopher Columbus in 1503 after the numerous sea turtles seen swimming in the surrounding waters. By 1530, they were known as the Caymans, a Carib word for marine crocodiles. We didn't see any crocs but did spy a young turtle just off the beach. Here are a few other things we saw:
"Excuse me, madam. Would you like a cold, cinnamon-scented cloth to refresh yourself this afternoon?" "Why, yes, Mariappan, I would! Thank you." Delightful!
Another iguana...this one a little larger and definitely fiercer looking.
Pirates...Aargh!!
And, last but not least, we saw lovely sunsets.
After four perfect days of laying by the pool, sunning on the beach, walking in the surf, snorkeling over a reef, and being waited on hand and foot, imagine my shock at returning to Kansas City's 18 degree weather and our house burned down to the ground! Just kidding!!! We left Chase and Marissa home alone, and they and the house survived just fine! I'm not joking about the temperature, though. I'm planning my next trip to the tropics right now!
No comments:
Post a Comment