Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fried Chicken for Breakfast?!?

Last night, Chris and I attended a benefit gala for a hospital that he insures in Parsons, KS. We slept in this morning (when was the last time we could do that on a Sunday?!?) and as a result, missed the continental breakfast at the hotel. Chris had mentioned yesterday about eating lunch today at this place, located on the outskirts of Pittsburg:
Because of our initial laziness and then desire to get on the road, we arrived at the restaurant at 10:57 am, just as the front doors were unlocked. We walked right in and ordered fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and German coleslaw (a sour version laced with garlic...delicious!!) I can't remember the last time I ate fried chicken...I know it's been years...and I'm positive I've never had it for breakfast, but Annie's chicken was hot, crispy, and delicious, especially dipped in those steaming mashed potatoes and gravy!
Here's Annie. She started serving chicken out of her own dining room in 1934 after her husband was injured in a mining accident and it was up to her provide the income. Her chicken became an overnight sensation and people have been driving for miles to get some ever since. I'd definitely recommend it if you're in the area, but I'd suggest eating breakfast first!!

2 comments:

  1. Bob's Uncle Archie (who lived in Lamar,Mo.)insisted that we go to Chicken Annie's when we were visiting them a few years back. It was a bit of a drive, but definately worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha... Jessica and I were servers in high school here. Oh the memories!

    ReplyDelete