Did you have a Picture Lady at your elementary school? Not the lady that came on picture day and combed your cowlick flat. The one that brought art prints from artists like Van Gogh, Rembrandt, and Picasso to share with your class. There was a picture lady at my elementary school...and she was my mom! I loved having my mom come to school. She was so smart and way prettier than all the other moms! Here is a painting that I remember my mom sharing with us. I guess it made such an impression on me because it's obvious that the horse is terrified of being caught in a lightning storm with no shelter.
Frightened Horse by Eugene Delacroix
Meagan was in kindergarten at Cottonwood Point Elementary when I found out that they had a Picture Lady program. Since Marissa was due that December, I waited until Meg was in 1st grade to join the program. There were several of us who presented artists to the kids. We chose an artist and presented him/her to a different grade each month. I served on this committee until we moved to Olathe nine years later, chairing it for the last six of those years.
I typically bring four or five prints to discuss with the kids. I try to keep the entire presentation very interactive, providing lots of opportunities for them to participate. Occasionally, I prepare a power-point to enrich the discussion. My artist for this month was Romare Bearden. In addition to being a collagist, he also wrote jazz music, having some 20 of his songs recorded. I created a ppt with 27 of his collages accompanied by "Seabreeze", his most famous composition. I had the kids count how many of his works had to do with music. Answer: 12 of the 27!

In 2008, Woodland Elementary opened it doors, relieving the overcrowding at Meadow Lane. Many of the teachers from MLE transferred to Woodland and one asked if I would consider presenting Picture Lady to the students there. (He is the one who took these pictures. Thanks, Jeff!) I accepted and am now Picture Lady at two schools...double the pleasure, double the fun!!! (Name that commercial from the early 70's.)
Well, Chase is 6th grade this year. His last year at Meadow Lane. MY last year at Meadow Lane! No more Picture Lady?? Not sure how I feel about that! I'm gonna miss my kiddos!
No comments:
Post a Comment